Monday, November 30, 2009

Powerless

The power went out in my neighbourhood today for a few hours.
I came home in the dark, to a dark apartment.  And since there was no power, I simply (using my iPhone as night light) went to the washroom to pee, dropped off my stuff and went to cell.
I was thinking, briefly, about the scripture in the Bible where it says, "in our weakness he is strong," or in the NLT, "My power works best in weakness."  Paul then goes on to say how he rejoices in his weakness so that Christ's power can do it's thing.
I began to think of the parallel at work in the High Park area.  Here we are, here I am, and I have no power of my own.  I'm incapable of doing anything, really.  There's no power to do it with.  I'm completely devoid of it.  That was when I felt the Holy Spirit remind me of that passage.  I was totally at peace.  I knew that everything was going to be okay.  I mean, it's not like a power outage in Toronto is ever that big a deal, they don't generally last long, and I had to go out and have cell anyway, but I was just reminded of how God has all the power I need.  I have power, yes, but only through him.  HE is my power.  Without him, I'm powerless, hopeless.

Anyway, hope you enjoyed that.  Remember to enjoy your powerlessness and embrace his power (which becomes yours, yes, but you get the point).

3 comments:

Barry said...

Saw your link on facebook status just thought I'd comment on all of them from now on...
...Philippians 4:13
I can do everything through him who gives me strength....

Sarah Aubrey said...

I really needed to hear this today, Matt. Thanks for posting! :)

Matt said...

Thanks for your comments guy!