Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Somedays...

You just want to give up, don't you?

Just stop and put your head down, or lie down in your bed, or just stop where you are, sit down and put your head in your hands and just let out a deep breath. You don't want to keep walking, or talking, or typing, or doing anything really, you just want to stop.
Then you keep going, because people aren't allowed to just stop. That would mean a lot less getting done, but a lot more peaceful people. In the end though, wouldn't the increase in peaceful people lead to an increase in productive people? I don't know, such things are not for men such as I to ponder, I suppose...
You keep going. You go until you get to the bus stop, or until you can hang up the phone, or until you can leave for the day, or until you can go to sleep at night (or in the morning). Then, you know, that next time, it will take just that little bit more until you feel like you have to give up. You know that you can get to that point where you were the last time you felt like giving up without doing it, but now you've got to go just a bit further. I wonder how much we can take. I wonder how far we can go? How far can we go before we need to give up on giving up giving up?
Is giving up so wrong?
Sometimes I, the mighty infallible Matt Mitchell, want to give up. Shocking, I know. I never talk about needing help or giving up, and I wonder if people know that I'm like them and sometimes I want to give up too. Sometimes I do give up, so to speak. Sometimes at work, I need to get up and get out of my chair. I need to take a break. Isn't taking a break just another form of giving up? It's like giving up for a bit, but with control and acceptance.
What does it even mean to give up? I mean, to truly give up, one would have to end one's life, I guess.
I like to give up a moment to giving up. Or maybe give up two.
I'm rambling, I know. So, heck, I give up. I give everything I have up to God, so that when I do need to give up, at least somebody is still holding on to the things I was holding on to, and now he's holding on to me too. Sigh...

No comments: