Saturday, July 14, 2007

Home Is Where My Guitar Is

Well, it has been about a week. I was up at a rental cottage for the week with a whole bunch of family, and while I did, rest assured, throughly enjoy myself; I am glad to be home!
The weather wasn't great though. A little chilly and mostly overcast, but such is life. It was relaxing. I didn't think about money or the future or church business or anything like that, just lived a lazy life for a week, that is, a lazier life than I normally do.
I ate lots of food and snacks, did a lot of swimming (we were right on the lake), watched some movies, hung out with family I haven't seen a long time, and played a lot of cards. Card games are big in my family. I lost twelve dollars in poker! I thought I would win, each time. Don't you always think you are going to win though? Even if just a little bit, you always think, "I could win this."
All and all good times. I am back in the city now, and happy to be home! There was no room for my precious guitar! Oh my Taylor! How I missed you!
It was weird not to be able to call people I normally call during the week, or email people I normally email. The void of facebook interaction was strange and frightening at times, but at other times, this disconnectedness proved relaxing and restful. While I do like being able to be contacted through the entirety of my waking day, there is something to be said for taking time to yourself where you are shut off from the world. I think this is one of the reasons why people love going to cottages. You can go away, to a small, remote place, where the only thing to do is relax and run a lazy life of lethargy by the lake. Sip beers and eat chips. Swim and nap. Lay low and spend quality time with friends or family. On top of all this, you don't have to worry about work, or school, or activities, or anything of the sort for the week. You just let go. I think that we all need to have a let go session every once in a while. For me this week was a little long. I missed the "city things" and conveinces that I'm used to. Flushing your pee, talking on the phone, surfing the internet, writing blogs, using as much water as you like, Starbucks, and etc.. I would have liked a good four days, I think that works for me.
If you are reading this, I encourage you to try and see if you can take a little vacation time this summer. It may just be a weekend, or a long weekend, or a week, or whatever. Do something for yourself, go somewhere, be shut off. Go with friends or family, and just relax. It does a soul good.

Until next...

No comments: