Sunday, July 29, 2007

Friendship Good!

So, I know that I've already talked about fellowship and community within the church and it's importance and stuff, but I kind of wanted to do something along those lines, but more specific. I want to talk about friendship. It's not really a bible study topic, I know, but it's really important to me, and the bible actually does have quite a bit to say about it.
Friendship was God's idea.

"The LORD God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone."
Genesis 2:18a (NIV)

Okay, okay, for all you sticklers out there, (strictly) the context of this verse is that Adam needed a "helper" (the second half of the verse being "I will make a helper suitable for him"), that's where woman (Eve) came around. Not the point I'm making here. The point is that, yes, Adam needed a helper, but, it still isn't good for man to be alone! The verse isn't stated "It is not good for man to do all the gardening alone", it is "it is not good for the man to be alone."
Now, you may ask me to prove how that connects to God making friendship and all, and I will do using logic! Logic, by the way, not actually of the devil : P
God is all knowing, omniscient, the universe mapped out and all things known forever, amen? Also, God knew what he was doing when he created Adam, he knew that he would need to create a helper, he knew that he was creating a man whom it would not be good for to be alone. Hence (I love using that word!), God created man to be with others! HA HA! Prove me wrong!
I thought so...!
Anyway, back to friendship. It was God's idea. God is friends with himself, our incredibly complex, yet utterly simple God of three in one, is friends with himself. I'm not going too deeply into discussion on the dynamics of the trinity, but God is Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. He is one God, expressed and shown in those three forms. That is how I understand it. God is perfect, and that perfection and the relationship of oneness in the trinity causes me, and the twenty years of growing-up-in-the-church theology have taught me, tell me that God has perfect fellowship with himself in his tri-nature. Make sense? Sort of right?
Okay, on to my next point. Hopefully I have one, and hopefully it makes clearer sense than my previous ones!
Biblical examples that prove God is big on friendship:

"So the LORD spoke to Moses face to face, as a man speaks to his friend."
Exodus 33:11a (NKJV)


"Even now my witness is in heaven; my advocate is on high. My intercessor is my friend as my eyes pour out tears to God; on behalf of a man he pleads with God as a man pleads for his friend."
Job 16:19-21 (NIV)

"
He who loves a pure heart and whose speech is gracious will have the king for his friend."
Provers 22:11 (NIV)

"But you, O Israel, my servant,
Jacob, whom I have chosen, you descendants of Abraham my friend,"
Isaiah 41:8 (NIV)

Jesus often referred to the person he spoke to as "Friend". I think he likes the word.
Anyway, while I do believe that God is our greatest friend, and that he should be out first priority in terms of friends, for this particular post, I want to talk about person to person friendships.
I have been so blessed in the past oh, two and a half months or so, to be able to meet and spend some time with some of the amazing people I have been. I have met and gotten to know so many people at TACF Central and have joined a great cell group with great cell leaders. Many people at Central feel like friends. I also love my Hillstreams friends! I have friends from all different walks of life and of different ages and races, personality types and other differences. I am so blessed by these people! I just wanted to write this to encourage anyone who reads this, if anyone reads this, that friendships are good! Pursue them! I need more friendships, and deeper friendships, and God is so good to give me those things and bless me that way, so be encouraged also if you feel that you lack friendship(s)!
I don't know where I wanted to go with this, all I know is that I feel in my spirit a real yearning to grow in my friendships, and to write about friendship tonight. Refer to my post about community and fellowship entitled "Will you keep me warm tonight? And I mean that in a purely platonic way" or something like that. There's more clarification of the benefit of friendships and why we need them in there!

No comments: