Monday, May 21, 2007

That's Prince Matt to You...

G'Day everybody! Pardon me, the odd Australian will pop in, I'm preparing to move there in the new year, and I just can't help myself but to interject a phrase or two here or there; but let's throw some shrimps on the barby and get on with tonight's study!
Soooo..... this morning at church, my lovely Pastor's wife, and my "church mom", spoke on our identity in Christ, mainly on how Satan tries to steal it. I Love Love Love these sermons because identity is something I have passion for. I love it when preachers, or whomever, speak on God given authority and things of the like because it so resonates in me. Let me give you a little insight as to why...
When I was a kid, I was picked on pretty bad at school because of very stupid, surface reasons. I was racially targeted and publicly humiliated and harassed constantly. This went on for about five years of my life, from grade three to grade eight. I have no shame in talking about it, and I've moved on and forgiven and am strong now, so I can continue to tell you even more why this is relevant.
For about five years I was constantly attacked on my worth, my intelligence, my appearance, my beliefs, my everything. Every thing that could be made fun, was. So sufficed to say, I became very depressed for a few years. Depression that lasted halfway through my teens! I had been out of harassment for three years before the depression was finally broken! So, the point of this is that my view of my value and identity were horribly, horribly skewed! I believed many horrible lies about myself and had serious self-esteem issues!
It wasn't until probably about a year or so ago that I really, really started to get a hold of what it meant to be a Man of God. This is still something I'm growing in, please don't allow yourself to believe that I would actually assume myself fully grown in the sight of God and in confidence and identity as a Man of God at twenty years old. So, yes, only about a year ago did I start to get it. The Bible says that God is King, God is Creator, God is Saviour, God is Healer, God is Redeemer, God is Father, God is Friend, etc., etc.. And the Bible also says that We are his children, his creation, his servants, his bride, his called and chosen ones, etc., etc.. BUT, this is something that few people actually have deep down in their hearts! Few members of the body of Christ actually realize what this means and what it entitles us to!
Let me tell you what it means!
First, this verse:

"Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me."
Matthew 28:18 (NIV)

now, check THIS out:

"When Jesus had called the Twelve together, he gave them power and authority to drive out all demons and to cure diseases,"
Luke 9:1 (TNIV)

So.... Jesus had all authority in heaven and on earth. I think we need to go and emphasize a few words there. Here it is as I believe it should be read

"Then Jesus came to them and said 'ALL authority in Heaven AND on earth has been GIVEN to me."


A note, when the word "all" is used in the bible, it really does mean all. Meaning there is no exception or anything else. All is All.

Okay, so what I'm trying to get at is that the Holy Spirit that dwelled in and on Jesus now lives in us through Salvation by his blood. But you may say, "Oh that's not true, Jesus was different!" But moowahahahaa, I will prove you wrong with the word of God! Okay: First, Jesus is born of the Holy Spirit, and second, God sent his Holy Spirit to be with Jesus through Baptism:

"This is how the birth of Jesus Christ came about: His mother Mary was pledged to be married to Joseph, but before they came together, she was found to be with child through the Holy Spirit."
Matthew 1:18 (NIV)

"and the
Holy Spirit descended on him in bodily form like a dove. And a voice came from heaven: "You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased."
Luke 3:22 (NIV)

Okay, now, the Bible also says that we receive the Holy Spirit. John the Baptist said, "I baptize you with water. But one more powerful than I will come, the thongs of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire." Luke 3:16 (NIV).

And then Pentecost came and people were baptized with the Holy Spirit, which still goes on today. It is this Holy Spirit that is the power that casts out demons and heals the sick and raises dead, etc..
So, to wrap things up, because I spent a whole lot of time just setting this up...

We are sons/daughters of the Most High, Almighty God!
We are heirs to the highest throne!
We are Princes/Princesses to the King of All Creation!
We are friends of the Lord God who reigns!
We are created in his image!
We have received HIS Holy Spirit!

WALK IN THAT! Don't let anyone or anything take that from you!
Demons will come at you and attack your value, attack your worth, attack your everything, but you can tell them "shut up in the name of Jesus, I am a son of Most High Almighty God, an heir to the highest throne, etc., etc..
I love this kind of stuff, because to go for so long feeling like nothing, to go to such security and love and authority of being something, and what a something, is awesome and life changing.

No comments: