Tuesday, May 15, 2007

This little light of mine...

"This little light of mine
I'm gonna let it shine!
This little light of mine
I'm gonna let it shine!
This little light mine
I'm gonna let it shine,
Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine!"

So, welcome to my first public devotions blog! I thought that I would so enrich the internet with my personal thoughts on biblical and Christian life topics as to have my own devotions blog.
I've been thinking recently on being a light. Being one who shines. And I've had this song in my head. It's so simple, and some might say childish, but it makes a great statement. There's another verse which goes on to talk about how the devil will not blow it out.
Matthew 5:14-16 (the Message) says:

"You're here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We're going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don't think I'm going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I'm putting you on a light stand. Now that I've put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand—shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you'll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven."

I love that translation!!! "You're here to be a light." That's AWESOME!
I've been thinking, what is so wrong with being a light!? If I get to be a light, I get to be a strength to those who are in the dark! A guide to those who are lost! A comfort to those who are scared! If I get to be light, I get to be something people look for! Something people are drawn to! I was praying recently at church that God would make our church like a bright light to come to for those who are in darkness. That he would make us not just light a lamppost, but like a GREAT BONFIRE! Oh God, make me shine brighter!
Here are some other great verses about being a light:

Psalm 4:6 (NIV)
"Many are asking, "Who can show us any good?" Let the light of your face shine upon us, O LORD."

Psalm 89:15 (NIV)
"Blessed are those who have learned to acclaim you, who walk in the
light of your presence, O LORD."

Psalm 118:27a (NIV)
" The LORD is God, and he has made his
light shine upon us."

Provers 13:9 (NIV)
"
The
light of the righteous shines brightly, but the lamp of the wicked is snuffed out."

Isaiah 60:1 (NIV)
"Arise, shine, for your
light has come, and the glory of the LORD rises upon you."

Matthew 5:14 (NIV)
"You are the
light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden."

John 1:
1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He was with God in the beginning.

3Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4In him was life, and that life was the light of men. 5The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it." (NIV) -- The same light that was in Jesus, the light of men, dwells in us through the Holy Spirit!

Acts 13:47 (NIV)
" For this is what the Lord has commanded us: 'I have made you a
light for the Gentiles, that you may bring salvation to the ends of the earth.' "

2nd Corinthians 4:6 (NIV)
"
For God, who said, "Let light shine out of darkness," made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ."

Ephesians 5:8 (NIV)
" For you were once darkness, but now you are
light in the Lord. Live as children of light"

1 Peter 2:9
"But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful
light."

As you can see, the bible has a lot to say about being of light. Remember that you carry light in you and you are one who shines!

No comments: